Simultaneous translation available in Spanish.
8:30 a.m. Check-in
9:00 a.m. Outdoor Resource Fair opens
9:00 a.m. Welcome and Plenary Discussion—“Science and Engineering as Pathways to Individual Success and Building A Culture of Exploration”
with speakers: Carlos I. Noriega Lieutenant Colonel, USMC, Ret., former NASA astronaut and Diana Ramos, MD, MPH, Medical Director for Reproductive Medicine, LA County Public Health Dept. of Health
Moderated by Gabriela Teissier, host of Univision’s “A Primera Hora”
10:30 – 11:45 a.m. Workshop Sessions
Track A: “Full STEM Ahead” (For Parents and Educators)
Rewarding careers related to biotech, medical discovery and technology all begin with a strong foundation in math and science education. Learn how planning academic coursework can set the stage for a smooth transition into college-level work, what enrichment programs can offer, and how parents can get involved to support strong study skills and academic success.
- Raul Mata, Guidance Counselor, Roosevelt High School
- Armando M. Rivera, Dean of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics; Associate Professor of Chemistry, ELAC
- Felipe Hernandez, USC Viterbi School of Engineering undergraduate student
- Moderator: Fernando Vasquez, Mayor Pro Tem of the City of Downey, CA
Track B: “Biotech Jobs” (For Career Seekers)
Did you know that for every high-tech job created in biotech, four more jobs are added in related support roles? Learn what preparations job seekers can make to get on track for job opportunities at all levels of a biotech company.
- Jan Perry, General Manager of the Los Angeles Economic and Workforce Development Department (EWDD)
- Willie Zuniga, President, Grifols Biological, Inc.
- Andrew Chavez, Supervisor, Grifols Biologicals Inc.
- Theda Douglas, Associate Vice President for Government Partnerships and Programs, USC
- Moderator: Maritza Dubie-Uribe, Manager of Countywide Youth Employment Programs
Track C: “Research and Clinical Practice: Graduate Track Careers” (For current College and High School students)
- Moderator: Ite A. Laird-Offringa, Associate Dean for Graduate Affairs and Director, Programs in Biomedical and Biological Sciences, USC
- Maria de Fatima Reyes, Keck School of Medicine of USC student
- Ivan Alberto Trujillo Priego, USC Viterbi School of Engineering doctoral student, biomechanical engineering
- Juan Enrique Arguelles Morales, USC Viterbi School of Engineering doctoral student, biomechanical engineering
12:00 Noon Closing remarks with California State Senate President Pro Tempore Kevin de Leòn
Simultaneous translation is available in Spanish for the Plenary Session and Workshop A.